The State of the Union Address is an annual presentation from the President of the United States where he is required to report his budget and economic report as well as outlining his legislative agenda and national priorities. It’s more or less a political rally cry for the year to come and provides the American people hope as well as a means of accountability. The President uses the speech as a tool to celebrate the previous year’s accomplishments and encourage a continued momentum forward in the year to come.
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead. (Philippians 3:13)
What lies ahead for you? What if YOU were to prepare an address to the people in your life, your family, friends, and those you influence, and gave a report of your previous year’s accomplishments and your hopes and goals for the year to come? What would that look like? What would you celebrate? What would you highlight as your agenda for 2018? We are a month into the year now so you should have some type of agenda…right?
Try asking yourself these questions for clarification and evaluation.
1. What is my biggest celebration from 2017? Who have I celebrated that with?
2. What is my plan for handling my financial debt for 2018?
3. What does my budget reveal about my priorities?
4. What are my top three priorities for 2018?
5. What does my 2018 calendar look like to those who are closest to me?
6. How would things look differently in my life if I were to live 2018 like I want to celebrate in 2019?
7. What is one thing I can begin to change today in order to move forward in my 2018 agenda tomorrow?
Scripture for Application
1 Corinthians 16:13
2 Timothy 4:6-9
1 John 5:14